What is Collagen?
- Collagen is the most ABUNDANT protein in the human body, found in the bones, muscles, skin, and tendons.
- Collagen occurs throughout the body, but especially in the SKIN, BONES, and CONNECTIVE TISSUES.
- Collagen is a hard, insoluble, and fibrous protein that makes up 1/3 of the protein in the human body. In most collagens, the molecules are packed together to form long, thin fibrils. These act as supporting structures and anchor cells to each other. They give the skin strength and elasticity. Some types of collagen fibrils, gram-for-gram, are stronger than steel. You can think of it as the “glue” that holds all these things together. In fact, the word comes from the Greek word “kólla,” which means glue!
Wow! Thats was a lot of smartness to take in… so let’s take a minute shall we?
Ok, now that we mastered, what collagen is, lets learn some fun facts. Oh, by the way this information is provided by Medical News Daily, Healthline, Web MD, Everyday Health, and Cleveland Clinic. If you are a nerd like me you should subscribe to them.
- Collagen production declines with age and exposure to things like smoking and UV light.
- That’s a good tidbit right? Think about all the smokers out there. What is one thing you notice right away? Smoking AGES you and its obvious. Take away here? Smoking destroys your collagen levels. (sidetone: I am not saying that is the SOLE reason why smokers look older then they tend to be but that is PART of the reason why.)
- When dressing a wounds collagen can be used to attract new skin cells to wound sites.
- Cosmetic lotions that claim to increase collagen levels are unlikely to do so, as collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin.
Ok, on with it!
Let’s dive deeper into what happens to our collagen as we age.
- Note that you can’t measure your collagen level, but you can tell when it’s decreasing. Here’s how:
- Wrinkles and crepey skin
- Stiffer, less flexible tendons and ligaments
- Shrinking, weakening muscles
- Joint pain or osteoporosis due to worn cartilage
- Gastrointestinal problems due to thinning of the lining in your digestive tract
****“Aside from aging, the top reason people don’t have enough collagen is poor diet,” Dr. Bradley, from the Cleveland Clinic says. “Your body can’t make collagen if it doesn’t have the necessary elements. As you age, however, your body may no longer absorb nutrients as well or synthesize them as efficiently. To make sure your body has enough ingredients to make collagen, you may need to change what you eat or take dietary supplements.”****
Benefits of Taking Collagen Supplements
- May be helpful for slowing the aging of your skin.
- It can help relive joint pain
- Prevents bone loss
- Boosts muscle mass
- Promotes heart health
- Strengthen brittle hair & nails,
- Gut health (especially if taken with a digestive aid)
- Brain heath (especially if paired with brain supplements)
Safety & Side Effects
- There are no substantial reports of side effects. However, you could have an allergic reaction if you’re allergic to the supplement source.
Nutrients That Increase Collagen Production
- Vitamin C: Large amounts are found in citrus fruits, bell peppers and strawberries.
- Proline: Large amounts are found in egg whites, wheat germ, dairy products, cabbage, asparagus and mushrooms.
- Glycine: Large amounts are found in pork skin, chicken skin and gelatin, but glycine is also found in various protein-containing foods.
- Copper: Large amounts are found in organ meats, sesame seeds, cocoa powder, cashews and lentils.
Things That Damage Collagen
- Sugar and refined carbs
- Too much sunshine
- Smoking (As previously discussed.
Some autoimmune disorders, such as lupus, can also damage collagen.
What is the takeaway to all this? Collagen is a great way to help ourselves out. It is as simple as that. If you are experiencing joint pain, brittle hair, or want to firm up your skin, COLLAGEN supplements are a GREAT choice for you. Obviously there are so many reasons.. I don’t need to repeat myself, just re-read the blog.
***As always think you for reading this post and please don’t hesitate to subscribe, like, comment, and share. It could mean a lot to me. Don’t forget to tune in on Mondays for more health and beauty tips.***
Please note, that I absolutely LOVE Arbonne’s products because they are Vegan, Cruelty Free, Plant Based, and Gluten Free. With that said, I always going to suggest Arbonne’s products. I put this at the very end because I want people to get a good nugget of wisdom. So please don’t let this turn you off of my blog. Thank you!
The Skin Elixir is in high demand and may be sold out.
Purchase Digestion Plus Here (I added this because it would be a good digestive aid to take alongside a collagen supplement for better results.)
Purchase Mind Health Here (I added this because it would be a good digestive aid to take alongside a collagen supplement for better results.)
Purchase Joint Support Here (I added this because it would be a good digestive aid to take alongside a collagen supplement for better results.)